Linux Training Tutorials – Symbolic Link
In general there are two types of links is there in symbolic links,
– Soft link is like a shortcut of the original file which is similar in windows.
– If the original file delete link will be broken and data also lost.There is no backup for this.
– Inode number for the source file and link file both are different.
– Soft link can be create in entire partitions.
– Characters of the original file and link file should be equal.
How To Create Soft Link:
#ln -s <original file> < Soft link file>
Example: #ln -s mytech mytech.slink
To View Soft link of the file
#ls -li mytech mytech.slink
– Hard link is nothing but a backup copy of a original file.
– If the original file got deleted there is no effect of the hard link and there will no data loss.
– Inode number of the both files will be the same.
– It is not possible to create Hard link in all the partitions.
– Both file name characters should be same.
How to Create Hard Link
#ln <original file> < Hard link file>
#ln -li mytech mytech.hlink
To View Hard link
#ls -li mytech mytech.hlink
Tags:soft link,hard link,Linux,g8k.in,mytecharticle.com,linux tutorials,Tech news,guest articles,windows articles,Hosting articles,knowledge articles,plesk tutorials